Baby, child, and breastfeeding-friendly places in Queenstown
There’s nothing more frustrating than meeting friends at a café or restaurant and there’s no space to park the buggy, no changing table, the kids are bored and there’s isn’t elbow room to breastfeed. Check out the Queenstown Family restaurants guide suggestions and set the venue yourself! These are ranked top to bottom, with priority given to those that meet all the criteria; change table, space for prams, kids toy area, easy parking and good food/coffee.
1.Graze Restaurant and Café, in Lake Hayes Estate – Excellent café and restaurant, plus bar. Outside garden is spacious, sun-shielded and it has a playhouse and toys. Inside offers room for prams,a change table as well as discreet areas for breastfeeding.Another plus, Graze is a hop skip and a jump from McBride’s Park, playground and bike track, one of the best in Queenstown.
2.The Boatshed Cafe & Bistro this is a lovely venue all year round, although summer is better when there's a whole lot of prams because of the lovely spacious garden and lake front deck area. As well as a smashing coffee and good menu, there is a change table and tucked behind the woodburner a more discrete and comfortable area for breastfeeding. It's a good base to go walking along the lake. Parking is free and ample.
3. The Fork and Tap in Arrowtown – Best suited to summer. Excellent outdoor area complete with play hut, sandpit and toys. It also has a change table and room for prams outside (although there is a bit of manoeuvring to get into the premises!). Great for lunches and sunlit dinners.
4. Remarkables Park Shopping Centre Hamills Restaurant has a dedicated play area and does a buy one pizza, get one free dinner deal on Wednesdays. Bookings for this are essential. The shopping centre has excellent change facilities in the public toilets, which are located near the Coffee Club behind the Flight Centre. The Coffee Club is quite roomy and there is a play area for kids. Lots of free parking.
5. The Exchange Café in central Queenstown – not only good coffee but very baby-friendly, often allowing mums’ groups to book out a lovely room at the back of the Café. The outside terrace is fabulous on a warm day and easy to access with prams. They also have a change table.
6. Columbus at Mitre 10 Mega in Frankton. Yes, it’s a chain and it’s in a hardware store, but if you need a fun indoor play area complete with slide, heaps of room, a change table and high chair while sipping a good coffee, then this is a good choice. The Café overlooks the Mitre 10 greenhouse with Remarkables Mountain in the background so not bad views either. Free parking.
7. The Tin Goose in Frankton – fabulous coffee and food plus a wee play area and toy box, plus heaps of space for prams. Popular with the locals, and there’s always a park available. There’s no changing table however.
8. Walnut Cottage has recently changed names and is now called Akarua Wines and Kitchen. Still located on on Lake Hayes Road (on the way to Arrowtown) the cafe/restaurant is set in beautiful gardens, which the kids love, and with its spacious layout it provides discretion for breastfeeding if that is what you are seeking. The coffee, service and food are good but there’s no changing table. Best suited to summer.
9. Flightpark on Malaghans road between Arthurs Point and Arrowtown is loved for its outdoor play area, and out of town location. They have a change table and kids craft activities on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings. It’s named this because it’s a landing point for paragliders, a great attraction for the kids.
Note: Flight park is closed over winter.
Top 5 venues for toddlers
1. In Frankton – Hamills is child-friendly with play areas, toy boxes and great deals like the buy one get one free Wednesday pizza dinner deal.
2. Graze in the Lake Hayes Area has a large spacious outdoor eating area, playhouse and kids menu. Very close to Graze is an epic playground and bike track.
3. In Arrowtown – The Fork and Tap is ideal with its large beer garden, play house and kids menu. Lunch and dinners only.
4. The Bath House for coffee or lunch – on the lake front with a playground at the doorstep. Small so best suited to sunny days where you can sit outside.
5. Brazz on the Green – Cheap and Cheerful pub style grub. Big booths and tables plus a huge box of toys make it a friendly spot for big family groups. The $10 breakfast is a bargain. Good for a cold day.
Photo credit- Graze Restaurant & Cafe